Cookies

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse this repository, you give consent for essential cookies to be used. You can read more about our Privacy and Cookie Policy.


Durham Research Online
You are in:

Decomposing public opinion variation into ideology, idiosyncrasy, and instability.

Lauderdale, Benjamin E. and Hanretty, Chris and Vivyan, Nick (2018) 'Decomposing public opinion variation into ideology, idiosyncrasy, and instability.', Journal of politics., 80 (2). pp. 707-712.

Abstract

We propose a method for decomposing variation in the issue preferences that US citizens express on surveys into three sources of variability that correspond to major threads in public opinion research. We find that, averaging across a set of high-profile US political issues, a single ideological dimension accounts for about 1/7 of opinion variation, individuals’ idiosyncratic preferences account for about 3/7, and response instability for the remaining 3/7. These shares vary substantially across issue types, and the average share attributable to ideology doubles when a second ideological dimension is permitted. We also find that (unidimensional) ideology accounts for almost twice as much response variation (and response instability is substantially lower) among respondents with high, rather than low, political knowledge. Our estimation strategy is based on an ordinal probit model with random effects and is applicable to other data sets that include repeated measurements of ordinal issue position data.

Item Type:Article
Full text:Publisher-imposed embargo
(AM) Accepted Manuscript
File format - PDF
(256Kb)
Full text:(VoR) Version of Record
Download PDF
(1353Kb)
Status:Peer-reviewed
Publisher Web site:https://doi.org/10.1086/695673
Publisher statement:© 2018 by the Southern Political Science Association.
Date accepted:14 October 2017
Date deposited:25 October 2017
Date of first online publication:01 March 2018
Date first made open access:01 March 2019

Save or Share this output

Export:
Export
Look up in GoogleScholar